Sunday, March 11, 2012

Go fsck yourself, part duh




You remember last time, when I said, "I'm writing this blog entry on the same disk image that was giving me nightmares just 7 hours ago"? Hahaha, well, that was then, and this is now.

It's four hours later, and this time, I'm writing from the laptop.




Remember that error? Here's a picture of the kind of thing that was coming up after I got home this evening.

These are the disk file system errors, not the ATA bus errors, which I missed by not having my camera handy as they scrolled by. This time, however, unlike last time, there was no recovery, no reboot to save the day, no luck at all.

But is it a failed disk, or a motherboard failure? Easy enough to check, just plug the CD-ROM into the jack the HD was plugged into. Fiddle fiddle, done, and no such luck. The errors continued on the HD, but not the CD, so it's the disk.

At least a disk is easier to replace!

There are days when having spare hardware sitting around is a very good thing. I just happened to have a 250GB IDE drive left over from an earlier project, which should provide perfectly adequate service for my needs, until I decide to afford something bigger. And faster. That new motherboard has SATA 6GHz ports, not that I expect any spinning media to be able to drive it that fast. Maybe my Fairy Godmother will bestow a Solid State Drive upon me.

Right. Not today. I'll just have to suffer with 250GB UDMA-100 IDE, like it's 2005 all over again. Luckily, the ASUS motherboard has an IDE ribbon cable socket, and I have a venerable IDE cable, left over from an earlier project, which should provide...anyway it works.

Debian is installing, but I can continue that in the morning. (YAWN)

Curt-

No comments:

Post a Comment